Want to Brew your own beer? Here's what you need:
There are 4 different products needed to brew beer at home.
Beer Brewing Starter Kit: This equipment kit includes step-by-step instructions and has everything you need to start brewing beer at home except for a recipe kit, bottles and a brewing kettle. The kit is designed to be expanded as your level of homebrewing progresses.
- Equipment Kit
- Recipe Kit (Ingredients)
- Brewing Kettle (Stock Pot)
Toronto Brewing Recipe Kits: Toronto Brewing offers a variety of 5 gallon recipe kits. For first time brewers we recommend brewing an Ale recipe kit. Ales ferment at room temperature and are ready to drink faster than lagers. Some of our more popular recipe kits include: West Coast IPA, Nut Brown Ale and California Pale Ale.
Brewing Kettle: The brewing process requires the brewer to mix and boil the ingredients from our recipe kits in a stock pot. Many brewers might already have a stock pot in their kitchen that might work for this process. The pot must be at least 3 gallons in size and preferably made of stainless steel, aluminum and or enamel.
Bottles: Five gallons of beer will require 48 standard beer bottles (two 2-4’s worth of beer). Shipping glass bottles can get expensive due to the shipping weight. Many homebrewers will collect empty bottles as they drink them, rinse them out and use them for their homebrew. IMPORTANT: The bottles can not be screw off bottles, they must be pop-top/pry-off bottles.
Here's how it works:
- Malted barley is milled and steeped in hot water to release the malt sugars.
- The malt sugar solution is boiled with Hops, which add flavour, bitterness and aroma.
- The solution is cooled and yeast is added to begin fermentation.
- The yeast ferments the sugars, converting them into alcohol and CO2.
- After 2-3 weeks the main fermentation is complete, the beer is bottled with a little bit of added sugar for carbonation.
- Drink beer. Repeat.